Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Overview

Hello world! I'm planning a class! 


Now, this is nothing revolutionary - most of the people reading this blog do this activity all the time. What is rather odd is that I'm doing it rather publicly - as I write, over 170 people have signed up to follow along. Wow!  


I'm really looking forward to giving folks the opportunity to peer in on one online instructor's process. I'm hoping this will give folks the opportunity to learn something new.  And, as I look at the names on the list, I know a lot of pretty brilliant people will be playing along and we'll all get the opportunity to learn from each other. This could be really cool.


I'll be posting throughout each week for the 10 weeks of Spring quarter, with a plan to basically have the course planned by the end. Each week, I'll make posts on course planning, Quality Matters, cool tools, selecting open resources, and learning analytics.


Several people have asked what LMS I'm using. I hope to use Canvas, recently announced as the presumed next LMS for the state of Washington.  However, we won't have access to it during this quarter that I'm working on this, so my plan is for this course to be LMS neutral.  I will, however, be looking where I can for tidbits about Canvas and will share them when I get them.


Along with designing this new class, I'll be sprucing up my Global Studies class that I teach each summer.  I like to methodically go through the course periodically, using the Quality Matters Rubric as my guide. Since a new rubric came out last August, it is the perfect time time for sprucing up.  There is a link to the course in the Resources area below.


One note about sharing - what's mine is yours. If I share it with you, it is with the anticipation that you might find it useful and can use it in your teaching or training. I'll try to remember to put creative commons license notes on stuff, but please feel free to use. I hope that others share as well and but they don't make a clear statement, please be sure to get their permission before using their content.


Resources:
Stephanie's Global Studies Class -
  • go to http://angel.seattlecentral.edu
  • Enter the user name guestscccgs
  • Enter the password gs
  • Look for the Courses nugget and click on the Global Studies link

No comments:

Post a Comment