Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Back to the Course map

A couple of days ago, I posted about using Canvas for my American Government class. I forgot to add, however, that it is way too early to actually be putting things in the LMS. I am still working on my course map, which is limited by the fact that I am still working on my module level outcomes.  Once I have sketched out my module level outcomes and my initial ways of measuring the achievement of those outcomes (the assessments), then I'll have a basis for selecting my materials.

Now, I know this seems convoluted and backwards. But if we are really centered on outcomes and student learning, then the outcomes and measurement needs to be at the beginning, not at the end.

That being said, I'm a bit behind (the story of my life!). I can't believe I'm already into week 4 of this project. My course map should be mostly done at this point, so I'm giving myself a goal to get it finished this week. Stay tuned!

Resources:
American Government Course Map
Blank Course Map 

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie,

    Thanks for linking to map you're filling out, which provides a nice flushing out of the blank map. I'm happy to see both, since I was wondering about module-level outcomes.

    So please keep us updated as you fill out the map!

    ReplyDelete