Monday, April 9, 2012

Getting Started with a Course Map

It's time to start actually planning this class. The last time I taught American Government, it was around 2003, so this is essentially a new prep for me. If I was doing things the way I used to, I'd start by hunting for a book. But that is actually a step that is a ways down the path. The first step really is my course outcomes.  Now, I'll be honest with you - I taught for years before even really reading my course outcomes. They certainly were not the starting point of my course planning process.  But, as a Quality Matters master reviewer, I now know that the course outcomes are what it's all about.
I’ve been working as an instructional designer in the Open Course Library and we’re using a great Course Map that is really making course planning easy, systematic and outcomes based. I’m all about easy, so this is what I’ll be using.  Here is a link to the course map.  I'll start filling out my version this week and share it out with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment