Saturday, April 28, 2012

Assessment & Measurement

Today I am looking at my Global Studies course through the lens of Quality Matters Standard 3 on Assessment and Measurement.


First, I realized, I should have this course organized on a course map. Since I already have all of the course and module level outcomes written out in the course, I just copied and pasted them into a table.  I also thought this would be easier since I repeat the exact same assignments during each week of the quarter. The next step will be to make sure everything maps, per Standard 3.1.  This standard requires that the assessments measure the learning objectives and are consistent with the course objectives.


So, as I fill in this chart, I am putting the specifics of each assignment in and making sure everything maps to the course outcomes.  So this is draft 1 and later on I will post the final version.  If something doesn't map properly, I can either adjust the assignment so that it does map or I can create something new that will map.  


I am also planning on using the LMS to map my outcomes, something I have never done. You can do this in ANGEL and in Canvas.  I will be teaching in ANGEL this summer, so I'll be using its its outcome mapping feature. I will show it to you in this little Jing video.  


Standard 3.2 requires a clear course grading policy, which I have in my syllabus, in my course orientation and in my rubrics.  I always have to check that things add up properly, since when I change stuff, the calculations always seem to get a bit messed up. When we do Quality Matters reviews, that is one place we often see small problems.


Standard 3.3 makes sure that specific and descriptive criteria are provided for the evaluation of student work and that they are tied to the grading. Again, this is in my rubrics.  I make heavy use of ANGEL's rubric tool. I understand that Canvas has a nice rubric tool as well, so I'm looking forward to learning that.


Standard 3.4 makes sure assessments are sequenced, varied and appropriate for the level of the class. Although I have the same assignments throughout the class (ie. 10 essays), all of the work get more complex as the class goes along. I add variety also through the activities attached to the discussion. I always have them do something, like look for invasive species in their neighborhoods, and then discuss the activity on the discussion board.  The thing you don't want to do here is have a midterm and a final.  That is pretty much the opposite of sequenced and varied.


Finally, Standard 3.5 gives students multiple chances to measure their own learning. This is the standard that, in my experience, people most often fail to meet. The commentary in the rubric notes that this can be met through self tests, interactive games with feedback built in, peer reviews and model papers. I have model papers, but that used to be it. To add more opportunities, I added a second chance on my weekly quiz. Now, instead of getting to take the quiz once, they can take it twice, making the first time a self test. They get the highest of the two scores.  Students LOVE this, it makes them very happy and it was really very easy for me to do. Talk about win/win.


Reference:
Mapping Outcomes in ANGEL in 3 minutes - http://youtu.be/wE3SkSqckk0
Using Rubrics in ANGEL - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL1SZmbcuLc - from Centralia's amazing Kathy Brooks.
Using Rubrics in Canvas - http://guides.instructure.com/s/2204/m/4210/l/40813-what-are-rubrics-in-canvas-video 
See the links in the Navigation bar for links to my class, the Quality Matters Rubric and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment