Saturday, June 16, 2012

Prepping my class in Canvas

I decided to teach my Summer class in Canvas. I also decided not to do anything with my course space until after the conference. Well, that time is now.  I mentioned in a previous post that the course moved over easily, but that moving over a messy class resulted in a lot of mess in Canvas.  So, I deleted that class, cleaned up my ANGEL class and imported it into a new Canvas classroom.

I had all of my ANGEL content organized in folders and subfolders.  Canvas caught the top level folders but not the lower folders. For example, I had a top level folder called "Weekly Work" and in that folder, I had separate folders for each week.

It seems easy enough to create new modules and drag and drop content into the right place. But it seems like that might be time consuming.  I thought instead to go to the Files area to try and organize stuff there.  I realized quickly that doing it in Files wouldn't work because ANGEL gives files giberish names which were carried over into Canvas (so this is really an ANGEL flaw, not a Canvas one).

In my Intro to Canvas session, they talked about the Modules as being the last thing to do, after assignments were created, etc. One would just organize things there, not build there.

I fiddled around looking at other options and I'm thinking the easiest way to go will be to build in the Canvas way and copy and paste from ANGEL rather than work fully with my imported content.  We'll see how this goes. . . .

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie,

    When I discovered we'd be switching to a new LMS, I decided to start working in Canvas. But before I began building in Canvas, I decided to test the importing process and to try importing a course I had started building in ANGEL. I experienced similar problems importing from ANGEL to Canvas and ended up deleting my imported ANGEL files(gibberish names & all) and starting over. I also had difficulty with how the ANGEL "Pages" imported into Canvas. They came over as files instead of Canvas pages. Luckily I didn't have that much of the course built yet so starting from scratch wasn't too difficult.

    We are undecided about the best way to have our instructors move from one LMS to the other. Right now, my preference would be to have everyone rebuild directly into the new system instead of trying to fix & reorganize imported content.

    :) Alissa @ LWIT

    ReplyDelete