Thursday, June 7, 2012

Plagiarism

Wow - it's been a couple of weeks since my last post. I'm sorry! I've been drowning in work that has to be done as opposed to the proactive work that I'd like to be doing.  I'm guessing you haven't missed me, since you're probably swamped too.

Today, Renee Carney of Lower Columbia, Connie Broughton of the State Board eLearning and I presented at the eLearning Community, a weekly opportunity to get professional development around eLearning topics and tools. 

One thing I mentioned in my piece is my Plagiarism Team. The Plagiarism Team is a place students go when I am concerned that they are plagiarizing. It's been my experience that students are often genuinely surprised when I accuse them of cheating - they apparently didn't know that copying and pasting whole paragraphs from academic articles was cheating, even when they cited the source. Given that, I go for the educational approach as opposed to the punitive approach.

So, in the Plagiarism Team, the student gets access to Highline's Plagiarism Tutorial.  They also lose access to the rest of the course - they cannot move forward in the class until they successfully complete this brief unit on plagiarizing.  

Highline's Plagiarism Tutorial, created by the fabulous librarians there, gives a wonderful explanation of the various aspects of plagiarism and how to avoid them.  You might check to see if your own library has one or just use the great one at Highline. 

After they complete the tutorial, the students take a quiz that I created based on the tutorial. They have to get 100% on the quiz and they can take it unlimited times until they get all of the questions right. Once they do, the rest of the content is unlocked and the student can move on with the class.

What do you do to prevent plagiarizing? And what do you do when plagiarizing occurs?

Resources:
eLearning Community past recordings -http://elearninginwa.blogspot.com/p/elluminate.html -  Scroll down to July 20 for the presentation that Renee, Scott Dennis and I did last year on this topic. Today's session should be linked there soon. Also check out the other great recordings.

No comments:

Post a Comment