Thursday, June 7, 2012

Editing my Flat World Knowledge Book

I selected my textbook, American Government and Politics in the Information Age, published by Flat World Knowledge. They went through a process to confirm that I am really a faculty member.

One of the benefits of using a Flat World Knowledge book is that I can edit the book to my exact specifications, editing,  adding and deleting content as I wish. I got a hard copy of the book and am reading through it, striking stuff I don't want and making notes about the things I want to add/edit.  I also made a photocopy of the Contents page to have sort of an overarching view of where I was going.  Since everything I have is on paper, I decided to try getting this online so I can see how it works.

After logging in, I had a hard time figuring out how to edit the book. I finally went to the Catalog and clicked on the Plus sign next to my textbook title. There, a small link says "customize this book".  Then a pretty snazzy web based version of the book pops up making it theoretically pretty simple to edit the content. 

After a few minutes, though, I found I was having trouble moving things the way I wanted to. I wished there was a little video tutorial.  Voila! I looked in the Help section and including several short tutorials on using the editing tool MIYO.  I'll watch them and give you an update soon on how my adoption is going.

Resources
Tutorials Page - http://www.flatworldknowledge.com/Tutorial-Videos

No comments:

Post a Comment