Monday, October 8, 2012

Student feedback on OER

I am presenting on a panel on Thursday about Open Course Library adoption and OER in general.  I thought I would share with you an informal survey of my students from summer quarter. I was sort of surprised by the results.

I don't know if you can really see this. Here are the options. Students were asked to select as many as are true for them.
  • I think it is great not to have to buy a textbook (25%)
  • I think it is a hassle to have to print out all of the readings (5%)
  • I often read the readings on my desktop or laptop computer instead of printing them out (25%)
  • I often read the readings on my mobile device instead of printing them out (5%)
  • I like that I can get the readings for free, but I wish there was an option to buy a printout of all the readings in the bookstore (15%)
  • Saving money on textbooks is really important to me (10%)
  • I wish more faculty had free alternatives to a paid textbook (0%)
  • I wish we just had a regular textbook (5%)
  • No answer (10%)
I think the answers in bold are rather startling.  Some students did not trouble filling out the multiple options, so that may have skewed the results. I'll look forward to trying this survey again this quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment