Friday, October 5, 2012

Crunch Time

Late Post - I originally wrote this on 9/21 but forgot to post it. . .

It's crunch time. The quarter starts tomorrow and, I will confess, I'm not quite ready (sounds like summer all over again!). Through a series of unfortunate events, my class didn't actually get scheduled until about 3 days ago. The uncertainty of it all enabled me to procrastinate, as is my habit.  So, now you can peek in on how a seasoned online instructor builds much of a class in just a few days.

On the positive side, I have been thinking about this for a long time. My syllabus was essentially done and I had built the structure of the class in Canvas using the Free for Teachers space.

As I'm building from scratch in Canvas, I am taking a Modules approach - I created 10 modules for each week, plus one for the orientation, syllabus documents (includes rubrics, expectations, etc), the service learning project, the final and a Start Here module. So, I have 15 modules in all. Next, I locked them down by date, so they don't open until the appropriate week (with an added bonus of no one being able to see there is nothing in the module yet). I took away many of the navigational tools to create a clean interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment