Monday, June 10, 2013

Lesson Planning

In my ideal mind, I plan classes months out, with great thought and time. In reality, it is usually rather rushed, very close to the start of the next quarter. I'm two weeks out now from the start of Summer Quarter on June 24. Next week I'll be at the national Canvas conference InstructureCon  in Utah for most of the week and probably not getting a lot done on this class, so I really need to do some serious work this week if I want to implement some of my new ideas.

Over the weekend, I worked on my lesson planning template. As you may know, I spent the last two quarters teaching in the Education School at Seattle U, a class called Adult Education Methods. The class really stressed the importance of lesson planning in order to implement important aspects of teaching like Universal Design and the Kolb learning cycle, which appeals to adult learners with concrete experiences. It also stressed the importance of summative and formative assessment and critical thinking.

My Global Studies really needs a complete revamp and building it upon carefully planned lessons seems like a good idea, rather than the random compilation of good ideas that it currently is. So, I'm crafting a lesson planing template that I think will work for me.

This week's goal is to write the lesson plan for each of the 8 modules and to set the visibility dates in my Canvas class. I'll also write to my students with my summer welcome letter to get them preparing for what is to come.

As always, if you see something in my materials that is useful to you, please feel free to use and modify.


No comments:

Post a Comment